Seventh Sense Group

Akasaka 2-12-10

Tokyo, 107-0052

Monday to Friday

9:00 ~ 18:00

Income Tax in Japan: Remittance Income for Non-permanent Residents

Residency for tax purposes is not the same as residency for visa purposes, and has particular tax implications.

If you have lived in Japan for less than 5 years in the last 10, then you will be categorized as a non-permanent resident for tax purposes.

This means that you will be taxed on your domestic sources of income. However, if you remit into Japan any foreign earnings, those will be viewed as remittance income and you will have to declare them.

Additionally, if you bring in money in bulk, that will also have to be declared as remittance income.

For more information or for the preparation of your income tax return, please feel free to contact us.

Follow Us on Social Network

Latest Posts

Get some free advice

Company establishment and accounting can be complicated in Japan.
Don’t do yourself, we’re here to help.

Get in touch for  a free consultation.